Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving

I am so thankful to be home, with our son for this Thanksgiving.  We are jet lagged and have totally upside down schedules right now, it's crazy.  Things are so wonderful one moment and the next we are having a major meltdown.  So, Keith and I are soaking in all the two year old moments...we have waited long enough.  We knew this transition would be hard for everyone (knowing is very different than experiencing but still).  SeungHwan is a trooper and has mostly woken up smiling and I get some cuddles at night in bed (and throughout the day). He's eating, which I am thrilled about and we are trying to balance out his diet..slowly.

Our flight was pretty smooth for the first half.  I cannot express how relieved I was that SeungHwan fell asleep on my lap during takeoff and slept for about two hours.  And how proud I was of myself for just being brave and walking him on the plane since I had to.  I came back to the seats when needed if it was too bumpy for me.  Krista held my hand as I stood and I asked Keith to hold my arm while I held SeungHwan the last few hours of the trip so he could sleep again. He slept throughout the descent and into SFO...where he became one of the newest citizens of the United States.

We had some dear family and friends meet us at the airport. My Dad, his wife Joan, my nieces, my besties..Jenn and her family, Elisa (right before she moved out of state...so glad she could come down to be there), Mo, and Bobbi, my dear friend Jenni, and Keith's in-laws picked us up. :) So great to come home to some happy smiling faces. Love all of them.  I forgot to take a group picture...oh well!

Language: SeungHwan speaks all in Korean and has a huge vocabulary.  Although some of it is "baby" Korean, as in it doesn't sound exactly as it should. We are doing okay.  We have enough key words to get his general gist when he is happy for a large chunk of the time.  When he is upset, it is much harder.  My Korean friends came over tonight and helped us with some more of the key stuff and phrases which will help more with the transition.  *To emphasize again, Keith and I have zero worries about our son's language acquisition to English. In fact, he is already learning things, such as "Hey Demma (Hey Gemma to the cat)" and "let's go" (parroted talk). We only want to make this transition as easy for everyone and I personally find it sad he will lose his first language. So please do not feel the need to tell us "not to worry" because we aren't. I love hearing his words, so amazing. :)

Everything will be okay, it just takes time and patience. Loads of it.

Home at long last! <3













7 comments:

  1. So glad you are home and celebrating everything that comes with this transition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like everything is going as to be expected:) Your little guy sounds like a smarty-pants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful beginning to the new chapter in your family's life. I love following along :). And I know Krista is home part-time now so you guys must be having an extra great time. Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get teary whenever I read your posts. I'm so happy for you. What a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I was there too! ;) I'm so glad he's home now, and that I was able to be there to meet him. I'm so happy for all of you and excited for all the wonderful experiences you'll have from now on. SeungHwan is so lucky to have such an amazing mommy and daddy. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agh....elisa!!! sorry.....editing now~! I am soooo glad you were able to be there....crazy how that worked out. I keep thinking of you...let's catch up on a call soon. love ya!

      Delete