Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Big Cousin

Our son is going to have such a blast with his cousins! Not only does he have two cousins that already love him in their own little ways, but he will have the best big cousin ever. Not only does Claire play so fantastically with her own little sister but she has such good advice.

While we were in Arizona, Claire told Krista the following (copied from my FB!):
Claire asked where you were going and I told her AZ. "Oh yeah, she told me. To get her baby?". We talked about waiting. The she said "I have to eat more so I can show Auntie's baby how to do things.". Here is the list:
"Eat, color, play, don't touch glass things, candles (blow them out and don't touch), go to the zoo, and how 'bout Disneyland?!, don't go close to the TV, watch the TV, sing songs, read books, don't eat when you talk, dance, when you come over--don't feed Daphne grapes, I want him to come over to our house, you cannot pick flowers, don't touch the bees--they might sting you, when it's your birthday--don't put the balloons next to the light or it might pop, don't touch CD's--only big girls, mommies or daddies can do it."
Oh and FYI: "Paigey won't be the same size as him cause she's getting more bigger."

I haven't seen my girls all weekend and not a whole lot last week thanks to report cards. Tonight, after little P goes to bed, Claire mentioned something to me about going to get "your baby" and I said it would be a long time from now, next year.  She then proceeded to remember "the letter I was writing" (dictating to my sister) a few weeks back.  As I am already getting teary hearing her sweet words, Claire leans her head in my hand on the table, like a pillow.  So then as she continues talking, I just brush her hair with my left hand as I hold her face in my right...love it.  Krista turns the corner. Here's the rest of our conversation.

Krista: "I can't wait for Auntie's baby to come, because then I will be...."
Claire: "....HAPPY!!!!"
Krista: "And guess what else Claire?! I will be an Auntie!!!"
Claire (gasps and smiles then looks at me): "And Auntie will be......"
Me: "A Mommy!" ((yayayayay))
Claire(more smiles): "And Unkee will be..."
Me: "A Daddy!"
Claire: "And Daddy will be an Unkee!!" (yelling to Matt) "Daddy you're going to be an Unkee!!!!!!"

I cannot tell you how much these exclamation points were true tonight.  And the coolest thing is that Claire totally "got it" tonight.  I guess we really have never talked about how our "roles" will change, but how freaking cool is that!?!

And for those of you who are wondering who Unkee is...that's my hubby Keith. When Claire was little, she couldn't say Uncle Keith just yet and it came out as Unkee. So that was it for a bit and it just kinda stuck!!  Funny because if you look back at "old" cards, etc., it really was Uncle Keith for a long while. I like Unkee better.

Disneyland May 2011

5 comments:

  1. She sounds like a very wise and kind cousin :) Adorable xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the best niece ever, so I know she will be a fantastic cousin! (yes, I am very biased!!) =0)

      Delete
  2. I like Unkee better too! I love that her fill in the blank answer was happy!! She is so right too! So proud of her! The girls are going to be so ready to show him the ropes! :)

    ReplyDelete