Sunday, March 18, 2012

Arizona

On Friday, the 9th, Keith and I flew to Arizona to attend a mandatory orientation/seminar/meeting event.  I was so excited to get to go there and was so happy with our experience.  We finally met Marsha...yay!! What a wonderful woman....it was so great to finally put a face to the voice.  We also met two of the the other social workers who work there.  They have a little office in Scottsdale and we were there on Friday from 3-5 (for California families only) and Saturday from 9-5.  I survived the flight with the help of some little magical things and even slept a bit!  Hooray for flying practice...it's been a long time.

There were about 8 other couples there, all of us adopting from Korea. Three families (including us) were from California.  Three families (including us) have been matched with a baby boy.  We are all in different stages of the adoption process and it was great getting to talk with them. Keith "won" a little tube of Korean chili paste for the ice breaker game (for initiating a group circle talk vs. us having to circulate the room).  Marsha said she has never seen any group do the activity that way...way to go Keith! Some families were in the beginning stages and some are waiting like us.  Since Dillon cancelled their meeting last fall, this was the first meeting they have had in some time.  Some of the information was already known to us and I wish we could have attended a meeting before we have gotten so far with the placing agency. But it was still helpful to hear about the process and what is coming up next.  We learned a lot and it gave us lots to ponder as well.  We all went to "The Korean Restaurant"...no joke on the sign....but it also had a new name, I think it was called Red Kimchee.  Yum.

We found out that once we travel to Korea, we will have a few days to ourselves.  Then we will have two meetings with foster mom and baby boy and a translator at Eastern. Our son's foster brother and sisters may also be in attendance. I would love to meet them. Each meeting will last for about an hour.  We may get to take our son back to the hotel/guest house with us for the last night, but maybe not. We will see. We talked about the good bye and this experience was referenced to be "like a ripping off a band-aid", and I am already teary about it. 

We spent a good chunk of time discussing transitions. Some I have thought of already and some which were new.  I have seen plenty a video of families riding to the airport with their little one on their laps but really didn't give it too much thought.  Now, I will wonder what an almost two year old might think about having to ride alone in a car seat when they have sat in a lap for all of their car rides. Some things I have thought about...cribs versus other forms of sleeping....co-sleeping, on the floor, in bed with us, toddler bed....etc.  When the time comes for our son to be home all of his care will be managed by us for some time....just like a newborn.  He will need to learn to trust us and know we are here to love and care for him.  His whole world will be turned and flipped and even though he will be a toddler, he will be like a newborn in some ways.  I think some of my "worries" are lessened by our discussions at the meeting...or at least for the time being! I feel like my thoughts have been validated.....and that I haven't completely over thought some of the challenges we will be facing.  If things are easier and smoother than we think...well that is never a "bad" thing.  At least we can be as prepared as we can be.  Keith and I have a lot of learning to do throughout the rest of our wait. Such an exciting time.

We met an adoptive family...recently home with their second son.  Both of their boys are adopted from Korea, 4 years and 21 months.  The four year old came running to me and laid his head in my lap for a long, sweet happy hug.  How lucky was I to be the first recipient of such a wonderful thing!  He then proceeded to run to one of the other Asian people in the room....don't worry...he hugged everyone by the end of his visit. Such a friendly and energetic guy!  It was nice to hear about their experiences both in Korea and back at home.  I couldn't help (and I am sure everyone else was too!) imagining Keith and I in their shoes.  Cuddling a little guy, being a personal gym, walking with him as he pulls you along, receiving hugs and more snuggles.....I can't wait.

We also were able to meet up with two dear friends...one of my friends from Kindergarten (yes, you read that right) and another friend from college.  Both now live in Phoenix with their families.  We had a nice visit with each of them.

On Tuesday, the 13th, we headed up to Oakland for our USCIS fingerprinting.  We didn't have to take any photos, so it was pretty quick, with the exception of my scan.  Keith was finished before my lady even began, but his lady was faster and his prints work.  Apparently, my fingerprints are not so good.  Last summer, when we had our prints taken for our homestudy, the guy had to retake mine a bunch of times.  Same thing this time.  So, I joked I need to find a bank to rob.  Keith and I enjoyed a breakfast out before I headed back in to work, since I only took a half day sub.

Looking forward to tomorrow....my classroom has been visited by leprechauns!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, so exciting! So glad to hear everything went so well in AZ, sounds like there are many things to consider for when you bring your son home. Nice for you to know some of those things now so you can plan on how to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to know about these things....we will be as prepared as possible, that's for sure!!!

      Delete
  2. All this excitement and expectations! It is like being pregnant...in it's own way. I can't wait for the next step.

    It sounds like that taking a toddler into your home and a newborn are very much the same. After all, you are all building a 'newborn' family together. I hope the transition is as smooth as it can be for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the meeting went well and you got some questions answered. It sounds like you met a lot of people to bond with! That's awesome!

    How exciting for you! And icing on the cake was a visit with friends - that's always nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the California families was fairly close....so I am hoping we get to know them even better. Seeing our friends was definitely an added bonus!

      Delete
  4. That sounds so exciting! I'm glad that your trip went so well! I'm so happy for you and excited that things are progressing so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelli- I thoroughly enjoyed reading everything that you have written hear. Lots of tearing up. So much happiness for you as motherhood is something that is so near and dear to my heart- the best thing I have ever done and been a part of in life. And when you have waited for so long as you have, I can only imagine the anticipation you must feel. If only every child had to have their parents so carefully reviewed to ensure they would be a good match. I look forward to following you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, thanks for reading, it's been a long road. So glad you are here with us!! I have thought over it time and time again (even before all of our family building efforts)...if only there was a way to make sure parents were really "in it"....at least a required class here and there!! Nice to have great people like you to look to for good role models!

      Delete