Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Second Visit

   This morning we had a 10am appointment to meet our son once again.  When we got there our social worker greeted us (along with some other workers) and made copies of our passports which we forgot on Monday.  Then she told us since there is construction going on at Eastern this week there was not a meeting room available and if we wouldn't mind having our meeting outside for a picnic. We said sure and we walked to the cafe.  SeungHwan and Foster Mom were already there and she said he would prefer to stay in the cafe, so we stayed.  Foster Mom has prepared a bunch of delicious Korean food that morning....sweet potatoes, white kimchi, bulgogi, and a bunch of muchim yummies. I would have loved to have eaten more but we were a little busy!! Our social worker offered to buy us a coffee, how nice, but we kindly declined.   As soon as we walked in I recognized the decor.  Back in the beginning of the year we had received a picture of SeungHwan and it looked like it was in a restaurant....now I know why!!

   It was so great to see SeungHwan and he was definitely more relaxed down in the cafe.  He was eating when we got there. He was playing with the decorations and we asked if we could give him something.  Yesterday we bought him a container full of plastic animals (which he loves) and we brought three animals (rhino, tiger, and hippo). He loved them and I one of the first things he did was take the rhino and try to match the feet with his elephant.  He and Keith played with them a lot.

   I asked a bunch of questions while the boys played (hehehe) and it was so nice to get a feel for our social worker too.  She seem very caring and in tune to how I might be feeling. On Monday she had told me, "They are very close (SeungHwan and Foster Mom) it will be okay" she asked me several times today how I was feeling (especially at the end).

Here are some of the things we learned about our little guy today:
  • He doesn't use any sign language since his vocabulary is so big. He started talking at a very young age....my memory is thinking 9 or 12 months...will have to ask! I heard a video of him singing today and at the end he says, the end! 
  • He does not like shadows....monsters!
  • He cries when he gets his hair cut so sometimes Foster Mom cuts it at home.  His hair also grows quick.
  • No foods have given him an upset stomach.
  • He does not like having his ears touched or going to the doctor.
  • He likes pretend play and hide and seek.
  • His little elephant toy came from the 2nd floor playroom!!! 
  • He is a tough guy when it comes to bumps and bruises.
   Foster Mom gave me his first bottle.  This is awesome because my parents saved our bottles too.  I think Claire and Paige currently have them.  She said after he got teeth, she had to replace the nipples every week because he would bite them! She also gave us his hanbok from his first birthday.  So very special. 

    Keith had been playing with the animals while I talked....he and SeungHwan are bonding so well.  There were these holes above the seats and they were sticking the animals in them.  SeungHwan discovered the rhino would fit all the way through but since it was an enclosed space, Keith had to use chopsticks to get him out.  This turned into quite a fun game.  One time, SeungHwan even handed Keith the chopsticks to get the rhino out!  As we were wrapping up the visit, SeungHwan and Keith played away from the table. They played peek a boo around the corner.  But guess what? SeungHwan came and took my hand so we could hide from Keith.  Loved it and my heart turned to mush at that very moment.  Feeling his little hand in mine was just perfect and made my week (and made my eyes just "slighty" teary. <3

   It will be a very special day when we meet him again at Eastern. The tears I had today were nothing compared to what is yet to come.  My heart is already ripping in half for him and his Foster Mom (and brother). They are so very, very close and love each other so much.  All the love we have not been able to share with him, she has. She has filled his life full of love and meaning.  He is off to an amazing start and Keith and I both feel so grateful for her.  How can you thank someone who has done such a selfless thing?  She said she has "lots of good memories of SeungHwan" and will write them in a letter to us since there were too many to express at the moment.

   Today was an amazing day. And here are some pictures to prove it!! Love to you all!!!

The new friends (and the awesome food!) :)

Love...LOVE...this smile.

<3, melt my heart.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a great 2nd meeting! Love his smiling pictures. It is awesome that he and his FM are so close and you will reap the benefits of that along with the heartache. When Simon first came home he would bring us his shoes and clothes from Korea, like asking to go back. It was hard, but you make it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Desirae! Yes, isn't it wonderful? And by it I guess I can mean the meeting and the attachment to fm. :) I've heard of other kids doing that...like they are saying "thanks it's been fun but.." Thanks so much!!!

      Delete
  2. I cannot even begin to understand how amazing it must be to interact with someone you've known and loved for so long from afar- best thing ever! I'm so excited for you as the wait gets shorter and your days apart are numbered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so amazing,...I don't think I can even begin to describe our joy!!!! Totally the best thing ever...and the next wait should be the shortest one!!! crossing fingers!!

      Delete